FAQ Call Now to book 01206 594051


What qualifications do I need to gain access to the offshore wind industry?

To work offshore on the wind turbines you will need:

  1. A working at height access course –Nwftc offers the Renewable UK climbing and rescue course which is fast becoming the industry standard. This course is most widely accepted by working sites around the UK and is a 2 day course
  2. Sea survival course – to work in any offshore industry you will need a basic sea survival course (sometimes called personal survival techniques – PST) this is a day course. There are many organisations that offer the course but you are advised to attend one which is accredited by the MCA (maritime and coastguard agency)
  3. First aid certificate – a minimum of emergency first course is required, it is best to find a course which is accredited by HSE ( health and safety executive)
  4. Finally you will need a medical – this is to be done by your GP or a specialist company. The medical will need to be the MCA - ML5 or ENG1

Above is the minimum requirement by most UK offshore sites, particulars vary dependant on the company, so you are advised to check with the site you intend to work for as the above is a generic overview.

Will NWFTC give me a job after the course?

No – we specialise in training individuals to work in the wind industry, it is down to you to find employment.

Is food provided?

Yes – lunch is provided during the courses

Is accommodation provided?

No – accommodation is not provided, we can provide a list of local hotels/ B&B for you to book in too

Where are the courses held?

We have two training centres, one in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria and the other in Lowestoft, Suffolk.





More in this category: « Front Page Gifs